The Presbytery of the Northern Plains expanse from the lakes and forests of west central Minnesota to the vast farmlands, potholes, and plains of North Dakota, and even sneaking into Montana, consisting of Presbyterian Christians as diverse and beautiful as her geography. One of sixteen Presbyteries in the upper Midwest making up the Synod of Lakes and Prairies, the Presbytery of the Northern Plains was established in January 1977 with the realignment of the Red River and North Dakota Presbyteries. Interestingly, the boundaries of the newly-formed Presbytery were almost identical to those of the Red River Presbytery when she was established in 1879, consisting of all of the northern Dakota Territory and the six northwestern counties of Minnesota.
The mission of the Presbytery of the Northern Plains as we seek to be a faithful witness to the good news of Jesus Christ, is three-fold:
To CARE for the congregations and members of Presbytery by providing guidance, encouragement and resources for their ministries;
To CONNECT congregations and members of Presbytery with one another and with the church beyond our denominational geographical bounds;
To CHALLENGE the congregations and members of Presbytery with a vision of faithfulness so that, with God's help, our witness on the plains can grow.